Travis County Tax Office

Vehicle registration, trailers

Registration is required for all non-farm trailers operating on public highways.

You must have a current vehicle inspection report (VIR) if the trailer’s gross weight is more than 7,500 pounds, the vehicle identification number (VIN), proof of ownership, such as Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO) or bill of sale, and a government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport.

Registration and titling requirements vary according to trailer type and weight. Most utility trailers fall into two categories: Manufactured (built by a trailer manufacturer) or homemade (built by an individual in their garage or shop).

Additionally, trailers are categorized by gross weights (the trailer weight plus the weight it can carry) under and over 4,000 pounds. It costs $45 to register trailer or travel trailer up to 6,000 pounds.

See our trailer titling section to find whether you need or can title your trailer. In some instances, you can register the trailer without titling it.

Registration renewal is online at  

For general registration renewal, you will need:

  • Your Texas Department of Motor Vehicles’ renewal notice
  • Government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport
  • Current vehicle inspection report if your trailer’s gross weight is above 7,500 pounds (You can find a copy of your inspection report at

You also will need the following items for non-owner registration renewal:

  • Form VTR-271 granting you the power of attorney for the owner
  • A business card or authorization on company letterhead giving you permission to renew the trailer’s registration

Farm trailers are exempt from vehicle inspection requirements. However, you will need the following additional documentation to renew a farm trailer registration:

  • An unexpired agricultural exemption permit issued by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (The name in the state vehicle record must match the name on the permit)
  • A completed Form VTR-52-A if you are switching from regular trailer to farm trailer license plates.
500 400 300 200 100 1 2 3 4 5 6 7