Travis County Tax Office

Vehicle titles, trailers

Trailer Titling

Texas law requires you to title some trailers while you can choose to title others. Titling a trailer provides evidence of ownership, which can prove important if thieves steal your trailer. For this reason, we encourage you to title the trailer for your protection, but be aware you can never change a titled trailer to non-title status. 

These trailers require a title:

  • Travel trailers
  • Trailers and semitrailers with a gross weight of more than 4,000 pounds

You may choose to title the following trailers:

  • Trailers and semitrailers with a gross weight of 4,000 pounds or less
  • Farm trailers and semitrailers with a gross weight of 34,000 pounds or less

If you register your trailer and choose not to title it, you will need the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO) or a registration receipt to prove ownership.

To title a trailer in your name, you will need:

  • Previous title or registration receipt (in your name or the seller’s name), Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, or Form 68-A (and Form 68-N if applicable) with the trailer’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
  • A bill of sale if the trailer weighs 4,000 pounds or less and was never registered in any state or if it was only registered in Texas.
  • Form 130-U
  • Government-issued photo identification, such as driver’s license, passport or military card
  • $33 title application fee
  • Pay sales tax

Vehicle identification number (VIN)

There are three ways to certify the VIN number on a trailer previously titled or registered out-of-state. You will need one of the following:

  1. An original, signed vehicle inspection report from a vehicle inspector
  2. A law enforcement inspection (68-A as described below when ownership evidence does not indicate the VIN)
  3. A complete Form VTR-270 (if applicable)

If you need to verify your trailer’s VIN or need one assigned, you must go to either the Austin Police Theft Unit or Travis County Sheriff’s Combined Auto Theft Task Force to conduct a 68-A inspection to verify the VIN. The inspection is free.

To get a VIN for your trailer, visit a Texas Department of Motor Vehicles regional office to have one assigned and receive Form 68-N. You must take the form to Austin Police or Sheriff’s Office auto theft division.

AUSTIN: If your home address is in the city of Austin, you need to schedule appointment with the auto left unit at (512) 974-5265. 68-A inspections are only available on the second Thursday of every month at 851 Blackson Ave.

TRAVIS COUNTY: If you live within the county but outside Austin, you need to schedule an appointment with the sheriff’s task force at (512) 854-9735. 68-A inspections are only available on the first and third Wednesday of every month at 7811 Burleson Manor Road in Manor.

Vehicle inspection

State law requires a safety inspection for trailers with a gross weight of more than 7,500 pounds.

Certified weight certificate

If your title documentation or out-of state-registration receipt does not show the trailer’s shipping and empty weight, you will need to go to a private weigh station, such as businesses with a CAT scale. Here are three locations in the Austin area:

  • CMC Commercial Metals, 710 Industrial Blvd.
  • CMC Recycling, 1704 Howard Lane, Austin, and 1558 N. Austin Ave., Sequin

Farm trailers

You must title any farm trailer with a gross weight of more than 34,000 pounds. If your trailer is under that weight, but above 4,000 pounds, titling is optional. Farm trailers with a gross weight of 4,000 pounds or less are exempt from titling and registration. Farm trailers are exempt from sales tax.

To title a farm trailer, you will need this additional documentation:

  • Form VTR-52-A
  • An agricultural exemption permit from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts

Used trailer purchase

Texas requires you to pay sales tax on the purchase price or the Standard Presumptive Value (the market value) of the trailer when you apply for a title.

Homemade, shop-made and travel trailers

You must fill out and submit Form VTR-141 in addition to the other documents required to title the trailer in your name.


500 400 300 200 100 1 2 3 4 5 6 7