Travis County Tax Office

Vehicle registration, temporary permits

General requirements for permits

  • You will need proof of insurance that meets Texas minimum requirements ($30,000 per person bodily injury, $60,000 per accident bodily injury and $25,000 property damage liability).
  • You will need an identification and it must match the name on your proof of insurance.
  • You must pay in cash to receive a permit from the tax office. No credit cards accepted.

Permit Disqualifications

  • Vehicles impounded by law enforcement for expired registration and/or junk, salvage or non-repairable title status.

Timed permits

One-trip permits

  • Issued for the temporary movement of an empty vehicle or trailer
  • You may only use it to travel in Texas, but you do not need to be a Texan to purchase the permit
  • The permit is good only from where you start (point of origin) to where you end (point of destination) in Texas
  • You do not need an inspection for a one-trip permit
  • You can apply for a maximum of three, one-trip permits per vehicle

Vehicles eligible for one-trip permits:

  • Bus
  • Charter bus from another state 
  • Private bus carrying passengers and property 
  • Commercial vehicle 
  • Passenger vehicle
  • Truck or truck-tractor
  • Park model trailer
  • Motorcycle

One-trip permit fee: $9.75 cash only.

30-day permits

  • Issued for the temporary movement of a vehicle carrying cargo or passengers.
  • Requires current inspection.
  • A maximum of three, 30-day permits allowed per vehicle.
  • 30-day and one-trip permits not available online.

Vehicles eligible for 30-day permits:

  • Passenger vehicles (cars and trucks)
  • Motorcycles
  • Private bus
  • Trailer
  • Semitrailer 
  • Light commercial vehicles
  • Commercial vehicle exceeding 10,000 pounds of gross vehicle weight (GVW) 

30-day permit fee: $29.75 cash only.

72- and 144-hour permits

  • 72- or 144-hour permits available for commercial vehicles and buses owned by residents of the United States, Mexico or Canada.
  • Vehicles using 72- or 144-hour permits may only operate at the maximum weight of 80,000 pounds.
  • Requires current inspection.

Vehicles eligible for 72- and 144-hour permits:

  • Trailer and semi-trailer
  • Truck-tractor
  • Trailer and semi-trailer
  • Motor bus
  • Laden truck

72-hour permit fee: $29.75
144-hour permit fee: $54.75

72- and 144-hour permits available online from Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV). Other options for purchasing these permits include your local TxDMV Regional Office; title service companies Fry’s Auto Title or Auto Title Services of Oak Hill (these private companies charge an additional fee for their service); or at one of our four tax office locations where we require payment in cash.

500 400 300 200 100 1 2 3 4 5 6 7