A gift is any transfer of a motor vehicle in which an eligible party does not receive a payment in exchange. If the vehicle is being transferred as a gift due to death or divorce, contact us for more information.
To qualify the vehicle must be received from the following eligible parties:
- Spouse (separate property)
- Parent/Stepparent or Father/Mother-in-law
- Child/Stepchild or Son/Daughter-in-law
- Sibling or Brother/Sister-in-law
- Guardian (Must show proof of guardianship)
- Decedent's Estate
- Certain Revocable Living Trusts
- Donated to or given by a 501(c)(3) non-profit service organization
Properly assigned original or certified copy provided by the TxDMV or titling authority from another state.
- Identification must be provided for the primary recipient
- A copy of the identification can be used
- All identifications must meet Texas requirements
- Proof of liability insurance
- Must meet Texas requirements at the time of title transfer
- The vehicle must be listed on the buyer's policy
- Insurance on another vehicle owned by the buyer can be used for the first 30 calendar days from the date of sale
Application for Texas Title (130-U)
- Original signature of the donor as the seller and recipient as the buyer is required
- Legal name on the buyer's photo ID must match the name on the Application for Texas Title (130-U)
Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer
- Applicants must submit an Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer, Comptroller Form 14-317
- Affidavit requires both the donor and recipient's signature to be notarized
- The donor or recipient filing the affidavit must file in person and must provide a valid form of identification
We accept cash, check, money order, or credit card payments.
- $33 Title Application Fee
- $10 Gift Tax
- Applicable Registration Fees
$78.25 registration fee for passenger vehicles and light trucks weighing up to 6,000 pounds. Visit Vehicle Registration for information on fees for other vehicles.
- No additional fees if paying by cash, check, or money order
- $3 credit card convenience fee (collected by Government Payments for credit card processing services) for transactions $100 or less
- 3% credit card convenience fee (collected by Government Payments for credit card processing services) for transactions more than $100