Travis County Tax Office

New to Texas

generic registration sticker

New Texans have 30 days to register their vehicle. You must register your vehicle before applying for a Texas Driver’s License


Your Texas insurance must meet or exceed the state’s minimums:

  • $30,000 per person for bodily injury
  • $60,000 per accident for bodily injury
  • $25,000 in property damage liability

If you have out-of-state insurance that meets these requirements, bring the declarations page for your policy. 


Take your vehicle and proof of insurance to a certified Texas Department of Public Safety inspection station in Travis County. Most dealerships, mechanics and full-service gas stations offer state inspections. You will need the inspection station to provide you with a signed Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR). The report is required to register and title your vehicle in Texas.

Note: Texas requires an annual inspection that is within 90 days of your sticker’s expiration date. Next year, after you pass inspection, you can renew your registration online at

Provide your inspection documents and proof of insurance along with the following:

Proof of Ownership

Bring your:

  • Original title or the vehicle's most recent registration receipt from your previous state
  • Information on the title’s lienholder, if applicable. If you have a lien on the vehicle, we need to know the lienholder’s full name, address, city, state, zip code and the first lien date.

Valid Photo ID

State law requires you bring one of the following types of photo identification:

  • Driver’s license or state identification certification from a U.S. state or territory
  • U.S. or foreign passport
  • U.S. military identification
  • North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) identification or identification issued under a U.S. Status of Forces Agreement
  • U.S. Department of Homeland Security identification
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services documentation
  • U.S. Department of State identification

If you are registering a vehicle with a power of attorney or in the name of a business, organization or trust, visit Title Transfers for additional information about identification requirements.


  • A completed Application for Texas Title (130-U) creates your Texas vehicle record. You also need this form for first time, Texas vehicle registration to receive your sticker and license plates.

Must be done in the tax office or title services.

500 400 300 200 100 1 2 3 4 5 6 7