Specialty license plates
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) offers two types of specialty license plates:
- Non-qualifying. These plates are available to any Texas vehicle owner. You may use Form VTR-999 to apply for specialty plates.
- Qualifying: You must prove you qualify for these plates, which include everything from agriculture plates to those displaying a branch of military service. Fill out the appropriate license plate application, making sure you meet the qualifications.
You can personalize most specialty license plates.
It usually takes a few weeks from the time you order for the plates to arrive in our office. Call us at (512) 854-9473 to check on the status of your plates.
You must pick up your plates from the tax office. You will need a government-issued, photo identification, such as your driver’s license, passport or military identification, and your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or current license plate number.
Paying registration fees when picking up specialty plates
You usually owe additional money when you pick up your specialty license plates from the tax office.
New plates require a new registration sticker (the sticker displays your license plate number).
Your new plates and registration sticker expiration date must be “synced” so your registration renewal notice includes paying for the renewal of your plates and sticker at the same time. To achieve this, we will calculate a pro-rated registration fee to ensure your registration sticker does not expire before your plates.
Sending someone to pick up your specialty plates
A family member, friend, colleague or employee may pick up your specialty plates at the tax office, but certain rules apply. The person coming to pick up the plates on your behalf will need to bring:
- Your Texas Department of Motor Vehicles renewal notice, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or license plate number
- A completed Form VTR-271, Limited Power of Attorney for Eligible Motor Vehicle Transactions
- Proof of insurance for the vehicle that meets Texas’ minimum requirements
- Two government-issued, photo identifications (such as driver’s license, passport or military identification). We need this kind of identification from the person you send to act on your behalf and we need to see a copy of your (the vehicle owner’s) government-issued, photo identification or we cannot process the renewal.
- Payment of pro-rated registration fees (you need a new sticker to match the plates) by cash, check, money order or credit or debit card
- For business vehicles, the person you send must show their work identification, business card or an authorized letter on your company’s letterhead that matches the business name in the motor vehicle database.
Remember, when the specialty plate is issued, additional fees may be collected to establish a single expiration date for both the specialty plate and the vehicle registration.