The voter registration team, along with partners such as the League of Women Voters Austin Area and the Travis County Clerk, coordinates youth initiatives for all age groups.
Our programs include:
- Coloring books for pre-K and elementary students
- Mock elections conducted at area elementary, middle and high schools
- Contests for middle and high school students to produce videos, murals and logos
- Voter registration drives at back to school nights and graduation ceremonies
- First Vote! voter education program for high school students preparing to cast their first ballot
2019 Student Mural Contest Winners
1st Place by Roxanne F., Del Valle High School
2nd Place by Evan S., Bowie High School
3rd Place by Grace T., Hyde Park High School
Honorable Mention by Chloe L., McCallum High School
Honorable Mention by Bailey P., Bowie High School
Honorable Mention by Evan S., Bowie High School
2019 Student Mural Contest Details
Along with the League of Women Voters Austin Area, the Travis County Voter Registration Division aims to increase awareness on Voter Registration and Voting through art. We invite Travis County high school students to participate in the 2019 Student Mural Contest with the goal of making Travis County a more colorful and better place to live in with our participation in the electoral process.
Register. Be Counted. Vote!
I. Registration and Eligibility
- The 2019 Student Mural Contest is open to all Travis County students enrolled in high school for the 2019 Spring Semester.
- This is a contest for solo participants.
- Participants may submit multiple designs and each design will be judged individually.
- The contest ends Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 5 p.m. The mural will be painted in September at Mueller Development next to Alamo Drafthouse and unveiled that month in conjunction with National Voter Registration Month.
II. Mural Specifications
- Wall size: approximately 12 feet wide by 10 feet high; the design should be able to use the entire space provided. The submitted artwork should be on art paper at least 8 1/2" by 11" and no more than 11" by 17".
- Originality: The artwork must be an original work. It should be wholly conceptualized and executed by the participant. Entries that are copies of existing works in terms of the composition will automatically be disqualified even if they are rendered in a different style, medium, color scheme, or even if other elements have been added.
- Participant's names must not appear on the designs.
- Obscene and offensive entries will be rejected outright.
- The words "Register. Be Counted. Vote!" must be found somewhere in the design. In addition, the logo of the Voter Registration Division should also appear somewhere in the design. The colors do not have to be red, white and blue.
- First prize is $500 cash
- Second prize is $350 cash
- Third prize is $200 cash
- Honorable Mention Prize is $100 cash and will be awarded to three designs
In addition to the cash prizes, there will be a package with prizes for each winner along with a certificate of recognition.
IV. Submission of Designs
- Each participant must fill out this google form: https://goo.gl/forms/WeNMoyUiDMlDDplr2
- The original artwork must be submitted to the Voter Registration Division no later than Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 5 p.m. Our office is located at 5501 Airport Blvd. Our mailing address is P.O. Box 149327, Austin, TX 78714-9327.
V. Selection as a Finalist and Judging of Winners
- All submitted designs will undergo preliminary screening for adherence to the contest rules and the ability to promote voter registration. Designs will be screened by Voter Registration and Communications staff.
- Judges in the art field (painters, gallery owners, philanthropists, art teachers) will judge the designs moving forward after the initial screening.
- Criteria of judging will be based on:
- Content of concept - 40%
- Originality - 20%
- Creativity - 20%
- Visual execution - 20%
VI. General Guidelines
- The artwork must be an original work that is wholly conceptualized and executed by the participant. Designs that copied the composition of existing works will automatically be disqualified, even if they are rendered in a different style, medium, color scheme, or even if other elements have been added.
- Travis County Voter Registration reserves the right to withdraw any award or cash prize at any time should the participant violate any of the rules and regulations of the contest or if Travis County Voter Registration deems, in any way, that granting a participant the award will damage the reputation of Travis County Voter Registration.
- Finalists give Travis County Voter Registration the authority to use the artwork to promote voter registration efforts in Travis County.
- Failure to comply with the above rules and regulations shall automatically disqualify the participant.
- By submitting the signed entry form, the participant agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the contest.