Register to vote
You are eligible to register to vote if you are:
- A United States citizen
- A Travis County resident
- At least 17 years and 10 months old, and you are 18 years of age on Election Day
- Not a convicted felon (you may be eligible to vote if you have completed your sentence, probation and parole)
- Not declared by a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be either totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote
How to register
- Fill out the online application.
- Visit any Travis County Tax Office.
- Request an application from the Texas Secretary of State.
- Pick up an application at any Austin-area Public Library, U.S. Postal Service office or state office locations for the departments of public safety and health and human services located in Travis County.
When does my voter registration become effective?
It becomes effective in the precinct of your address 30 days after we receive your application. We also will mail your voter registration certificate within 30 days.
Address and name updates
Address and name updates when moving within Texas
If you move within Texas or change your name, update your voter registration online. If you move to a new county, your Travis County voter registration will be canceled. You will receive your updated voter registration certificate with your new address or name in approximately 30 days.
Address and name updates when moving out of Texas
If you move out of Texas, cancel your voter registration in Travis County and contact your new state for information about how to register to vote.