Register to vote
You are eligible to register to vote if you are:
- A United States citizen
- A Travis County resident
- At least 17 years and 10 months old, and you are 18 years of age on Election Day
- Not a convicted felon (you may be eligible to vote if you have completed your sentence, probation and parole)
- Not declared by a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be either totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote
How to register
- View an interactive map or download a list of Voter Registration Partners.
- Visit any Travis County Tax Office.
- Request an application from the Texas Secretary of State.
- Visit any Austin Public Library, U.S. Postal Service office or state office locations for the departments of public safety and health and human services located in Travis County.
When does my voter registration become effective?
It becomes effective in the precinct of your address 30 days after we receive your application. We also will mail your voter registration certificate within 30 days.
Address and name updates
Leaving Travis County or moving outside of Travis County
- Contact the Voter Registrar in your new Texas county or request a new voter registration application from the Texas Secretary of State. We remove your voter registration from the Travis County voter roll when you register in another Texas county.
- Cancel your voter registration in Travis County if you are moving outside of Texas
Address and name updates when moving within Travis County
If you moved within Travis County or changed your name, update your voter registration online. When we receive the change notice, we will update your certificate and send you a new one within 30 days.