Volunteer Deputy Registrars help register eligible citizens to vote by distributing, reviewing, and accepting completed voter registration applications. They serve for two-year terms expiring on December 31 of even-numbered years.
Monthly training classes for volunteers interested in becoming VDRs are held the 1st Tuesday of each month at 10:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
Becoming a Volunteer Deputy Registrar is easy. Attend a one-hour training session held the 1st Tuesday of each month at 10:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Training is held at the Travis County Voter Registrar's office located at 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX 78751.
To be appointed, an individual must be:
- at least 18 years old;
- a United States citizen; and
- a Texas resident
An individual must not have been:
- determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be (1) totally mentally incapacitated or (2) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
- convicted of failing to deliver a voter application to a voter registrar;
- convicted of a felony or, if so convicted, must have (1) fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court, or (2) be pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote;
- convicted of identity theft under Section 32.51 of the Penal Code
Volunteer Deputy Registrars help Travis County citizens register to vote by:
- providing a voter registration application;
- assisting in the completion of the application;
- accepting and reviewing the completed application and giving receipts;
- informing the applicant that voter registration certificates are mailed within 30 days;
- submitting the applications in person to our office at 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX 78751 within 5 calendar days.
Read the quarterly VDR Newsletter and check out our Facebook Events.
Conduct a Voter Registration Drive
Volunteer Deputy Registrars are encouraged to conduct voter drives in their neighborhoods, through civic and religious organizations and in the community at large. Learn more about conducting a voter drive.
Order Your VDR T-shirt
Stand out at your events by ordering your VDR t-shirt online today!
Thanks to all of our volunteers who attended the 2017 Shining Star Celebration. If you missed the event, check out the video!