Travis County Tax Office

Disabled veterans property tax exemption, 100% disabled or unemployable

Veterans who are 100% disabled or unemployable are exempt from paying property taxes. The exemption is transferrable to the surviving spouse.


  • You must own your house and live in it as your primary residence
  • The property address must match the address on your government issued photo identification
  • Receive 100%  disability compensation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for a service-connected disability
  • Have a disability rating of 100%  or classified as an unemployable individual from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs


By mail

  1. Complete the Residence Homestead Exemption Application 
  2. Required documents to send with your application:
    • A copy of your state-issued personal identification
    • A letter from the Veteran's Administration showing your VA percentage disability rating
  3. Mail to:

    Travis Central Appraisal District
    P.O. Box 149012
    Austin, TX 78714-9012 

500 400 300 200 100 1 2 3 4 5 6 7