Travis County Tax Office

General property taxes

Where can I find information about property value, exemption application approvals, square footage, plat maps, and protests on property value?


The Travis Central Appraisal District (TCAD) is responsible for listing property and ownership information, estimating values, providing plat maps, and assisting taxpayers with the protest process.

How do I change the address or ownership records for a property?


Change your address online:

  1. Search for your property.
  2. Once you find your property, click on your account number.
  3. Click on the change of address button at the bottom of the page and follow the prompts to complete the address change.

Change your address in person or by mail:

The Travis Central Appraisal District (TCAD) records ownership and address information in person and by mail. Visit the TCAD Forms Database to locate the form you need, fill it out, and submit it to their office. Once they make a change, TCAD sends the updated information in about 30 days to the tax office.

How do I get a copy of my tax bill or receipt?


Search for your property by name, address or account number. Locate your original tax bill, current tax bill, and receipts using the links on the account details page. Contact us for bills by mail, email or fax.

What should I do if I cannot find the account online?


If you know the name of the owner, the address of the property, or the account number, email the information to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

If you have a legal description or need to locate the property by plat map, contact the Travis Central Appraisal District (TCAD).

Why do I have to pay property taxes on a vehicle I lease?


In Texas, all property is taxable, unless it is exempt by law. Since leased vehicles produce income from the leasing company, they are taxable to the leasing company. If you receive a tax bill from your leasing company, that means you signed a contract that requires you to reimburse the company for the taxes on your vehicle. The City of Austin imposes a tax on leased vehicles and does not offer an exemption.

Property tax payments

Why is there a fee for paying by credit or debit card and electronic check?


Travis County taxpayers asked us to make credit and debit card and electronic check payments available to them. Texas Property Tax Code, which is state law, does not allow us to absorb the fees the private companies charge for these services. We contract with Hamer Enterprises, which does business as Government Payments. The 3 percent credit card charge and $1 electronic check (eCheck) fee cover the costs of credit card, bank fees and our vendor, Hamer. We particularly encourage you to pay your property taxes with an eCheck because you immediately receive an email of a paid receipt, giving you proof and the date of your transaction. When you pay your property taxes online, your bank statement will record the transaction as “Government Payments.”

How do you protect my eCheck and credit card data


We make sure you receive the same encryption level as your banking institution to maintain your confidentiality and security. Our office does not receive your credit card or personal information. Government Payments encrypts your personal information and only lets us know the account is paid.

What should I do if I have trouble paying online?


Look below at the Troubleshooting Guide for technical help. If you cannot find what you need, email us, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or call (512) 854-9473.

Error messageReason
Address verification warning We cannot verify the address entered. Enter the address exactly as it appears on the bank account. If unsuccessful, you must contact your bank to find out why the address is not verifiable electronically.
Contact authorizing center The account has a protection plan for online payment. You need to contact your credit card company or bank to authorize and add Government Payments to its approved list for online payments.
Declined The credit card company or bank will not accept the charge. You will need to contact your credit card company or bank.
Incorrect routing number The routing number should be nine digits with no other characters. Your transaction will not complete if the routing number is less than nine digits.
Invalid account number We cannot confirm the account number by the verification system. Try the account number again. If the process still does not work, you will need to contact your credit card company or bank.
Invalid name The name entered does not match the credit card or bank account.
Order ID is not unique The transaction was not processed. This may happen due to a decline of the initial transaction. If the message is still there, log off and log back in. The message should then clear.
This page cannot be displayed Refresh your page and start your transaction over.
Invalid PPS Many reasons can cause this error message to appear. It is possible the bank does not participate in the check processing service used by our vendor, Hamer. Other reasons for this error may include the account is closed or has insufficient funds, or there is a typographical error. You will need to contact your bank to determine the problem.
NCIS or NCN The National Negative Check File Database flagged your account due to a reported stolen or closed account, or a returned check. You will need to contact your bank for more information on how to remove the flag on the account.


The amount of taxes I owed decreased after I paid because of a value change or an added exemption. How do I get a refund?


The Travis Central Appraisal District (TCAD) sends value and exemption updates to our office once a month. If you have already paid your taxes, and we receive a change that decreases the amount you owe, we will automatically send a refund within 60 days.

How do I get a refund if the taxes were overpaid because the check was written for the wrong amount or there were multiple payments?


In the case of an overpayment or erroneous payment, a refund application is required. Once a correct, completed application is submitted, a refund will be sent within 60 days. To download your refund application:

  1. Search for your property.
  2. Once you find your property, click on your account number.
  3. Click on the refund application icon at the top of the page.

Property taxes, delinquent

I never received a tax bill. Do I still have to pay penalties and interest?


Yes. Texas law makes it the responsibility of the property owner to pay by the tax deadline, even if you do not receive the bill through the U.S. Postal Service. You can view your bill online or send an email request to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

State law requires you pay your taxes when you receive the bill. The final deadline to pay your tax bill is Jan. 31. If you do not pay by this date or if your mailed payment is postmarked Feb. 1 or later, state law automatically adds penalty and interest charges to your bill. . The tax office does not have the legal authority to remove any penalty or interest charges.

I just purchased a home and paid the taxes at closing. Why did I receive a delinquent bill?


To determine how your taxes were collected, check the closing documents and contact your title company. In many cases, the new owner receives a credit from the seller and becomes responsible for paying the entire tax bill in full.

Property tax deferrals

What is a tax deferral and who can get it?


It allows qualified homeowners to postpone paying their property taxes for as long as they live in that residence.

A tax deferral is available if the property has an age 65 and older or disabled homestead exemption approved by our office. The deferral allows qualified homeowners to postpone paying their property taxes for as long as they live in their house, often referred to as the “residence homestead.” One thing to keep in mind: If you defer paying your taxes, the state requires the tax office to add five percent interest each year to the amount of taxes owed.

When are deferred taxes due?


You must pay the deferred property taxes, plus the five percent annual interest charges that accrued, within 180 days after the owner with the exemption leaves, sells the home or no longer qualifies. If you do not pay within the 180 days, much higher state-mandated penalty and interest charges apply.

When does a tax deferral begin?


A deferral begins when the qualified homeowner files a Tax Deferral Affidavit. The deferral affidavit must be notarized and can filed in person at 2433 Ridgepoint Dr, Austin, TX 78754, or by mail at P.O. Box 149328 Austin, TX 78714. Our office can notarize the form if the property owner comes in person. 

When does a tax deferral end?


A deferral ends when the owner no longer owns or occupies the property as their residence homestead.

Are deferred taxes delinquent?


Yes. Texas law requires five percent interest per year be added onto the delinquent amount owed. The property is listed on the delinquent tax roll. 

Does the tax office assess penalty or interest on deferred taxes?


We do not, but Texas does and we must collect it. There is a state-mandated five percent interest per year charge on the amount owed. When the deferral ends, you must pay the taxes and interest within 180 days or higher state penalty and interest charges are applied.

What happens if we do not pay the taxes and interest within the 180-day deadline?


On the 181st day, all standard penalty, interest and collections fees will be due for all years. 

Does my mortgage company have to honor a tax deferral?


No. Most mortgage companies have language in their contracts requiring payment of taxes in full each year. Check with your mortgage company to determine whether you can enter into a tax deferral with our office.

Where would I go to learn more about a tax deferral?


The Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts can provide you with more information on tax deferrals.

500 400 300 200 100 1 2 3 4 5 6 7