Dear Travis County Residents,
This has been such a difficult couple of years for all of us. Too many have lost their jobs and businesses, and have buried loved ones. Many are suffering from the emotional effects of all we have experienced during this deadly pandemic. Private and public sector businesses are struggling to keep their employees and customers safe. We are all working to recruit and retain enough employees to keep our doors open.
The Tax Office has taken every recommended precaution to keep our employees and customers safe. We social distance, have barriers and sanitizer and require weekly COVID tests. Even so, we currently have more than a dozen vacant positions and even more employees out at any given time caring for family members or themselves. Unfortunately, we just don’t have enough employees to provide the quality of customer service you have come to expect.
We are doing everything we can to overcome our unprecedented staff shortages. We have streamlined our hiring process. We added employees with motor vehicle expertise from other divisions. Employees are volunteering to work some Saturdays. We have expanded our satellite offices to serve more customers closer to where you live and will open a new office on HWY 620 with a drive through option this year. And we initiated an advertising campaign to encourage our customers to take advantage of all online options instead of coming to our office or mailing transactions.
Since we are all expected to do our part during difficult times, we ask for your help to enable us to serve more customers faster.
- PLEASE use our online services for vehicle registration renewal and to pay property taxes. This will help us add capacity for those who must come to our office. You can connect to those services on this website. There is a new service on www.Texas.gov that allows you to create a free personal account to make it easy to renew your vehicle registration or driver’s license.
- Try not to call us but if you must, be sure you pack your patience. More than 250,000 calls each year are fielded by about 14 tax specialists. Since most answers to your questions can be found on our website, please go there first. If you do call and receive a busy signal, it means all the lines connecting to our customer representatives and customers holding are in use.
- Double- and triple-check that you have all the required paperwork before coming to our office for a title or first-time Texas registration. Missing paperwork is a wasted trip for you and slows us down. Everything you will need is listed on this website. Even if you bought a new Tesla that comes with an out-of-state inspection, every vehicle MUST have a passing Texas inspection before it can be titled or registered.
- Always bring a paper copy of your insurance card, especially if you are using our drive-thru service. Please do not send the insurance card on your mobile phone in the drive-thru pneumatic tubes. It will break our equipment and lead to even more delays during the repair process.
- We are hiring! If you or anyone you know would like to work for the tax office where they will receive great employee benefits, go to https://www.traviscountytx.gov/human-resources/jobs.
We take our work seriously at the tax office as the money we collect funds essential services and resources for our community. We are proud to serve our neighbors and it is our privilege to serve you. We appreciate your patience and assistance as we all work through this trying time.
I am hoping your family is safe and avoiding the virus.
& Voter Registrar