UPDATE: This article contains historical details about the tax office move to Airport Blvd. Learn more about our current operational hours and locations.
Great news! The main Tax Office is moving its headquarters to 2433 Ridgepoint Drive.
The new Nelda Wells Spears Building, located near highways 183 and 290, will allow the Tax Office to offer better customer service and parking.
The late-Nelda Wells Spears was a longtime Travis County tax assessor-collector and the first African-American tax assessor-collector in the state.
Tax Assessor-Collector Bruce Elfant said the new building will exclusively house Tax Office divisions, including motor vehicles, property tax, voter registration, accounting and communication and training.
“I am really excited that the Tax Office is getting its own building, thanks to Travis County Commissioners Court,” Elfant said. “We expect this move will allow us to improve our processes and customer service.”
As you can imagine, moving the Tax Office is not easy. That is why some divisions may move ahead of others. To stay up-to-date on what divisions move when, check this page. We will post here when a division moves into the new building at 2433 Ridgepoint Drive.
Operational changes from June 3, 2022, to June 13, 2022
Motor Vehicle Division move begins June 3, 2022
- The 5501 Airport Boulevard lobby will close to the public June 3, 2022, and reopen June 8, 2022, at the new Tax Office HQ, 2433 Ridgepoint Drive.
- Additional employees and appointments have been added to our other locations during the move.
- The 5501 Airport Boulevard drive-thru will remain open in June for vehicle registration renewals, temporary permits and disabled parking placards and plates. It is available from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- The 2433 Ridgepoint Drive lobby will be available for walk-ins from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning June 8, 2022.
Property Tax Collections Division move begins June 4, 2022
- The 5501 Airport Boulevard lobby will close to the public at noon June 3, 2022, and reopen June 7, 2022, at the new Tax Office HQ, 2433 Ridgepoint Drive.
- The 5501 Airport Boulevard drive-thru will remain open in June for property tax payments. It is available from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Voter Registration Division move begins June 9, 2022
- The 5501 Airport Boulevard lobby will close to the public at 5 p.m. June 8, 2022, and reopen June 13, 2022, at the new Tax Office HQ, 2433 Ridgepoint Drive.
Communications & Training Division Contact Center move begins June 10, 2022
- The contact center will operate during normal business hours June 10, 2022, and will reopen at 1 p.m. June 13, 2022 at the new Tax Office HQ, 2433 Ridgepoint Drive.
- Calls will not be answered from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 13, 2022
When is the tax office moving?
The office will begin moving in early June. Divisions will move over several weeks.
How will this impact my existing appointment?
Pay close attention to the address on your appointment confirmation to be sure you go to the correct location. Your appointment confirmation will include the address.
Does the Ridgepoint location have a drive-thru?
The Ridgepoint location does not have a drive-thru. During the month of June, the drive-thru on Airport Blvd. will remain open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. We will continue to offer drive-thru services at our North, East and Southeast offices. Later this year, we will be opening a new office in Northwest Austin that will provide drive-thru services.
How long will you be closed? Will I still be able to transfer a title or register my vehicle while you are moving?
As you can imagine, moving a large office is a daunting task that will not happen overnight. We are not planning to fully close, but several departments may have interrupted services that may last 1 - 2 days. We've put together a plan to minimize the disruption to our services that includes:
- Moving equipment and furniture over the weekend for our largest departments.
- Staggering department move dates in order to provide as many services as possible during the move.
- Temporarily relocating staff from the main office to the satellite offices so we can add more appointments at our other locations.
- Keeping the Airport Blvd. drive-thru open for registration services during the move.
When will I be able to schedule an appointment at the new location?
We are in the process of installing and testing a new appointment system and hope to have it available for scheduling by early June. Once the system is available, we will begin scheduling appointments for the Ridgepoint location.
Will customers be able to walk-in without an appointment?
Yes! Our new expanded lobby space and check-in system will allow you to visit our office without an appointment. Walk-in services for motor vehicle titles and registration will be available from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Walk-in services for property tax and voter registration will be available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
How will the move impact dealers and runners?
Dealers and runners are required to complete transactions at our main office. We will be temporarily unable to process dealer transactions from Friday, June 3, 2022, through Tuesday, June 7, 2022.
Starting Wednesday, June 8, 2022, dealer and runner processing will be available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday in the motor vehicle lobby at the new Tax Office HQ, 2433 Ridgepoint Drive. There is a limit of three transactions per visit.
Dealer and runner pickup and drop-off will be available from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, in the Tax Office HQ Dealer Lobby. Dealer supplies will be available from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday.
Dealer and runner badges will be available by appointment only.