Title service license and dealer runner programs
State law requires we properly credential your business and employees who prepare or submit motor vehicle documents. We can only accept title and registration paperwork from title services licensed by the tax office or dealers licensed by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV).
The tax office issues photo identification badges to:
- Title service company runners
- Vehicle dealer runners
You must show your official, tax office-issued badge each time you visit us.
Title service companies
Your company and any owner or employee who works on motor vehicle documents for a monetary fee or any other form of compensation, needs a tax office license.
To apply, you need to:
- Read the frequently asked questions.
- Complete the Travis County Motor Vehicle Title Service License and the Motor Vehicle Title Service Ancillary License application. The ancillary license is mandatory for company owners and for your document preparers and runners.
- Sign background check forms.
- Submit your application fee.
Vehicle dealer runners
Runners working for dealers licensed by the TxDMV must apply for a photo identification badge from the tax office. Your initial badge and first replacement badge, if necessary, are free; there is a $10 fee for any additional replacement badges.
To apply, you need:
- A valid U.S. government-issued photo identification (such as your state issued driver’s license or identification card, or U.S. passport). Foreign IDs are not accepted.
- A vehicle dealer owner or manager-signed letter on the dealership’s letterhead confirming you work for the company and authorizing you to submit motor vehicle documents on the dealer’s behalf. Note: The owner or manager signing the letter must include their title at the dealership with their signature.
- A copy of the dealer’s TxDMV license with the General Distinguishing Number (GDN)/P number.
State law requires a TxDMV dealer’s license for anyone who sells more than five vehicles a year.